The 27th Woolwich was formed by three members of the Wesley Hall Methodist Church congregation, in late 1929, formally being registered as a scout troop in 1930.
The Group originally only consisted of the Boy Scout Troop, with a different neckerchief design than the one used today, of black with a grey border.
As soon as the group formally open the scoutmasters found that the younger brothers of the Scout Troop also wanted to be part the scouting experience, and the elder scouts did not want to leave the Troop either. So the leadership team then expanded, and the Wolf Cub Pack and Senior Scout sections were created. Through those first few years the group built on their early successes by instilling a family spirit as a backbone to the troop. The Troop then continued on throughout the war years providing a valuable service towards the war effort. They kept together through the hard times with that strong family spirit that continues to this day, with descendent’s of the founders still at the group.
To celebrate their 21st birthday a new Neckerchief design of black and grey halves (the current one used today) was adopted, as well as new troop colours being presented to the group.
With the group continuing to grow, and play an increasing part in the district of Woolwich, the 27th Woolwich continued with its tradition of putting on their variety show at Wesley Hall, called “The Groupsters”. From these early performances the leaders gained many skills in putting on a show, and many of them later had key roles in the organising and running of the first Woolwich Gang Show in 1954. Indeed, throughout the run of the District Gang Show the 27th Woolwich played a major role in its organisation, with its members forming over a quarter of its cast, crew, and management team.
The next milestone for the group to celebrate was their 25th anniversary, in 1955. To mark the event a celebration dinner was held at Wesley Hall and a new set of colours were presented to the group.
The group continued on until 1970 when a programme change forced the Senior Scout section to close. However to accommodate the elder members of the group, the new Venture Scout Unit was opened as a mixed unit. The programme change also saw the Wolf Cub Pack, renamed as the Cub Scout Pack.
In 1986, the group expanded further with the creation of the Beaver Scout Colony. However the biggest change to the group was yet to come. In 1992, following a directive for the Scout Association, girls were allowed to join the group in all sections. The 27th Woolwich was one of the first groups in the District to do so.
The arrival of the new millennium in 2000 also saw the group celebrate its 70th anniversary. A lot of debate surrounded the celebrations, but in the end the leadership team decided to recreate the 25th anniversary dinner, which was attended by past and present members, and the one surviving founder member of the group.
In 2002 the Scout Movement implemented a new programme, which resulted in a restructuring of the sections. As a result of this change, a special Christmas dinner was held at Frylands Wood campsite for Unit members, to mark the transition of the Venture Scout Unit into the Badgers Explorer Scout Unit.
The group continues to go from strength to strength, and recently celebrated the centenary of scouting in 2007 with a “27th reunited” event that welcomed back members of the group, from across the generations, to reminisce their times at the group.
During 2011 a fire at Wesley Hall resulted in the group’s 56 year old colours being damaged beyond repair. A new set of colours were purchased, and a blessing and dedication ceremony was held in February 2012.